Do you want to easily reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke, and cancer?
Did you know you can improve your health by eating more? Sounds good, doesn’t it? These statistics on increasing your fruit & veg intake to 10-a-day are absolutely amazing! So why not give it a go?
Eating up to 800 grams of fruit and vegetables a day (10 portions) as compared to no fruit or vegetables was associated with:
* a 24% reduced risk of heart disease * a 33% reduced risk of stroke * a 28% reduced risk of cardiovascular disease * a 13% reduced risk of total cancer * a 31% reduction in dying prematurely
Current fruit and vegetable intake recommendations:
- 5-a day England, World Cancer Research Fund & World Health Organisation
- 6-a-day in Sweden
- 7.5-a-day in Denmark
- 7 - 9-a-day in Norway
- 8 - 10-a-day in the USA
This study shows that the number of preventable deaths globally due to fruit and vegetable intake under 10-a-day in 2013 would have been:
- 1 340 000 for coronary heart disease
- 2 680 000 for stroke
- 2 270 000 for cardiovascular disease
- 660 000 for cancer
- 7 800 000 for all-cause mortality
- 7.8 million premature deaths estimated as preventable if 10-a-day eaten
What equals a portion of fruit or vegetables?
An 80 gram portion of fruit or veg equals 1 portion. Eating 10 of these will greatly boost your health and increase disease prevention.
Top tip: To prevent too much fruit sugar consumption and blood sugar spikes, eat more vegetables than fruit. For 10-a-day eat 6 or 7 veg to 3 or 4 fruit.
- ORGANIC* Medium apple
- Half an avocado
- Medium banana
- 4 heaped tablespoons of blackcurrants / blueberries
- 2 clementines, satsumas, tangerines, or 1 orange
- Half a grapefruit
- Handful of ORGANIC* grapes
- 2 kiwi
- Half of a mango
- 1 ORGANIC* peach or pear
- Pineapple- 1 large slices or 12 chunks
- 2 plums
- 20 raspberries
- 9 ORGANIC* strawberries
- ORGANIC* Tomato- 1 medium or 7 cherry tomatoes
- Asparagus- 7 spears
- Aubergine- a third
- Beans, French / broad / butter / kidney / runner- 3 heaped tablespoons
- Beetroot- 3 baby or 7 slices
- Broccoli- 2 spears
- Brussels- sprouts 8
- Cabbage- 2 handfuls of slices
- Carrots- 3 heaped tablespoons of slices
- Cauliflower- 8 florets
- ORGANIC* Celery- 3 sticks
- Half of a large courgette
- ORGANIC* Cucumber- 2 inch piece
- Kale- 4 heaped tablespoons
- Leeks- white portion only
- Lentils- 3 tablespoons
- Mange tout- 1 handful
- Mushroom- 14 button
- Onion- 1 medium
- Parsnips- 1 large
- Peas- 3 heaped tablespoons
- ORGANIC* Pepper- half
- Radish- 10
- ORGANIC* Spinach- 2 heaped tablespoons
- Sweet potato- 1 large
- Sweetcorn- 6 baby or 1 on the cob
*Please note: We have highlighted the EWG.org "Dirty Dozen" recommendations for the fruit & veg that should ideally be organic whenever possible. Please see their website for more details at www.ewg.org
Fewer than 1 in 3 UK adults are thought to meet the current 5-a-day target let alone the 10-a-day target which provides incredible health benefits.
Need a helping hand?
If you are struggling to get your 10-a-day down, there are easy ways to consume a few extra portions a day. These are powdered, dried fruits and vegetables that come in capsule form or powders that can be added to smoothies. Visit the clinic to find out more or visit www.theperrymount.com/shop
The Perrymount Power Smoothie
- 250ml organic unsweetened nut milk
- 250ml filtered water
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1 small banana or half of a large one
- handful of berries
- 1 cup fresh, washed organic spinach or kale
- ½ cup unsweetened live yogurt (Greek or coconut milk based) or Kefir
- 2 tablespoons collagen protein powder
- 1 tablespoon whole linseeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon organic spirulina powder (optional)
- Optional add in: Nutri Superfood powder, G&G Green powder, or Chlorella and Collagen powder available at The Perrymount Clinic or www.theperrymount.com/shop
For best results, add to a Vitamix or similar blender and blend until creamy (about 30 second on high). If you find that the smoothie is too thick, just add a bit more liquid until your desired consistency is reached.
Smoothie tip: Avoid using just fruit in your smoothy which can contain a lot of fruit sugar which can spike your blood sugar. Notice how the Perrymount Power Smoothie has a mix of fruits, green vegetables, avocado & linseeds for good fats, yogurt & a protein powder source to give a complete balanced start to your day which will boost you nicely towards your target 10-a-day fruit & veg.
Vitamin and Mineral Supplements versus Real Food
Vitamin and mineral supplements contain just that, vitamins and minerals. When you look on the label, what you see is what you get. At times these are extremely useful, for example, getting 400 mg of magnesium in a supplement has fantastic health benefits. However, you couldn’t fit all the ingredients of a single strawberry on a label. There would be over 10,000 phytonutrients that have amazing health benefits, all working synergistically together. For long term use it is preferable to use real food and be helped by “real food” supplement powders, which help with convenience. If you would like a full advanced nutritional consultation using the Avatar with Christian Bates then call 01444 410944 and click HERE for more information.
The statistics for this information hand-out are extracted from this research paper:
Fruit and vegetable intake and the risk of cardiovascular disease, total cancer and all-cause mortality–a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies Dagfinn Aune Edward Giovannucci Paolo Boffetta Lars T. Fadnes NaNa Keum Teresa Norat Darren C. Greenwood Elio Riboli Lars J. Vatten Serena Tonstad Int J Epidemiol dyw319. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyw319 Published: 22 February 2017